Published: Fri, March 09, 2018
Worldwide | By Sean Reid

Parsons Green accused Ahmed Hassan 'used school prize to buy bomb materials'

Parsons Green accused Ahmed Hassan 'used school prize to buy bomb materials'

Some 93 passengers scrambled to get off the District Line train after a wall of flames engulfed their carriage during rush hour on September 15 past year, with witnesses describing a fireball melting clothes, singeing hair, and causing awful burns.

In early September 2017, Hassan allegedly seized a "window of opportunity" to prepare the device while his foster parents were on holiday in Blackpool.

Prosecutor Alison Morgan told jurors: "On Friday 15 September shortly before 8.20am an improvised explosive device partially detonated on a District Line Tube train very shortly after it had arrived into Parsons Green Station".

Hassan denies attempted murder and using a chemical compound to cause an explosion likely to endanger life.

"Had the device fully detonated, it is inevitable that serious injury and significant damage would have been caused within the carriage".

Hassan claimed asylum when he arrived in Britain on the back of a truck travelling through the Channel Tunnel from France, saying he was in fear of Islamic State.

The court heard Hassan had packed the bomb with 2.2kg of screwdrivers, knives and nails to cause "maximum carnage".

The court was also shown CCTV footage of a man alleged to be Hassan boarding the train and then alighting at the stop before Parsons Green.

After planting the bomb, the jury was told the suspect then "calmly" got off the train further down the line and boarded a bus that followed the route of the Tube towards Parsons Green station.

There were 93 people in the carriage where the bomb was planted during the morning rush hour in September past year, the court has heard.

The court also heard that a charity worker, who speaks Arabic, allegedly heard the defendant listening to a "call-to-arms" song on his mobile phone whilst he was staying at a Barnardos children's home after his arrival in 2015.

Iraqi asylum seeker, 18, who arrived in Britain in the back of a lorry 'injured 30 commuters after detonating bucket bomb
Parsons Green attack: Alleged Tube bomber 'told Home Office officials he was Isis child soldier' after arriving in UK

Thirty people were injured after the device partially detonated during rush hour last September in a Tube train at Parsons Green station. Jurors were told the batteries could have been used for the bomb timer. He could have pulled the wires out of the device.

The partial explosion created a large fireball.

Jurors heard details of the injuries suffered by people on the train, which included burns to their faces and bodies.

"The prosecution therefore alleges that the defendant intended that this should be a lethal attack".

An expert concluded it was "a matter of luck" that the bomb did not fully explode.

Aimee Colville saw "shards of glass flying through the air and then flames".

One of the survivors, identified in court only as Miss S, became distressed as she described how her clothes caught fire after she was caught in the blast, while a second, Lucinda Glazebrook, began to weep as she was being assisted into the witness box at the Old Bailey.

"There was a blinding flash to my left and I was engulfed in flames", Mr. Nash said.

The court heard how Hassan researched the ingredients for TATP explosives and bought sulphuric acid on Amazon.

Morgan told the jury that when Hassan was first arrested he told police that he was "responsible for the device".

NFL Combine: Mike Gesicki surges and Winners and Losers from Day 2
In order to secure the Penn State running back's services though, they likely have to take him with the first overall selection. It started off poorly Thursday, when Brown managed just 14 bench press reps despite measuring in at 6-foot-8, 345 pounds.

New study shows gun-related injures drop during NRA conventions
The NRA doesn't rely heavily on commercial partnerships - except donations from gun companies. Frederick Rivara, of the Harborview Injury Prevention and Research Center, in Seattle.

Recapping Day 1 of workouts at the National Football League combine
Mike Mayock described his 40-yard dash performance perfectly, calling it, "a historically bad time", as reported by Sporting News. To put this into further perspective, future Hall of Fame left tackle Joe Thomas only recorded 28 reps during his combine.

Like this: