Published: Thu, March 30, 2017
Health Care | By Gwendolyn Kim

11-year old girl suffers major burns on hands making homemade slime

11-year old girl suffers major burns on hands making homemade slime

Siobhan Quinn said her 11-year-old daughter, Kathleen, endured second and third-degree burns on her hands after playing with the homemade slime, a "do it yourself" trend that surged in popularity this year thanks to social media.

Her mother, Siobhan Quinn, says that by the time her daughter returned home the next day, Kathleen was crying from the pain.

Doctors told Kathleen that extended exposure to Borax caused her burns, noting that the substance was likely not properly diluted.

"I just feel like a awful mother for letting her have access to this, " Siobhan Quinn told Sheinelle Jones on TODAY Wednesday.

"In some ways, I'm not really surprised because, prolonged contact with any kind of chemical can lead to either chemical burns or an allergic reaction", said Dr. Max Gomez.

Her parents took her to a local hospital and found out she had second- and third-degree burns.

According to WCVB, Kathleen Quinn made some homemade slime last weekend.

Avengers Troll 'Justice League' Trailer In Fan Made Clip
Watch the Justice League trailer below from the United Kingdom with a different opening featuring the full team minus Superman . Wonder Woman , aka Diana Prince, says in the trailer: "They say the age of heroes will never come again".

Georgetown fires John Thompson III after another losing year
He has been in the mix for a National Basketball Association head-coaching gig in recent years but hasn't landed one. Thompson III's last appearance in the tournament came in 2015, when they lost to Utah in the Round of 32.

Daniel Ricciardo 'Mobbed' By Fans Ahead of Melbourne Grand Prix
Ricciardo, who placed third in the 2016 drivers' championship, rejoined the race when the leaders had completed the first lap. Then his vehicle came to a stop on the warm-up lap shortly before the race and he got out of the auto shaking his head.

"I woke up in the middle of the night and my hands were just all wet and they were sticking together and they were blistered, " Kathleen said on TODAY. And most children make it and play with it over and over and never suffer any injuries.

The concerned mother is not the first to speak out about the dangers of making homemade slime.

"I feel bad", Siobhan told the news outlet.

Siobhan warns other parents about their children making "DIY slime".

Since most ingredients in the slime - like baking soda, laundry detergent or Borax - could cause irritation to the eyes, be sure to wash your hands after handling the stretchy toy. Her hands were hot and tingly.

"Just because you have it around, just because it seems to be perfectly safe for those types of applications doesn't mean it should be used in anything else, particularly household slime", Dickerson said in a Consumer Reports news video earlier this month.

Quinn was using three key ingredients Elmer's glue, water and Borax - sodium borate - to make her slime.

Like this: